The major functions and responsibilities of Local Governmnet & Community Development Department are:
Formulation of public policy and its promulgation; updating of laws, rules and providing guidelines for the working of local government department. Besides, LG&CD Department issues policy guidelines on salient issues, in the best interest of citizens.
The Department coordinates with Federal/Provincial Government Departments and allied agencies as well as all the three tiers of local governments on the issues pertaining to the new local government system.
The department is responsible for the recruitments and administration of service personnel working in its attached departments, 144 Tehsil Municipal Administrations (TMAs) and 3464 Union Administrations.
Our other functions include:
- To act as Administrative Department of Local Governments
- To act as Secretariat of Provincial Local Government Commission
- To act as member on Provincial Finance Commission (PFC) established under PLGO-2001
- To issue directions to the District Governments under section 128 of PLGO-2001
- Vetting of Taxation proposal of Local Governments as provided under PLGO-2001
- Execution / Coordination of Foreign Aided Projects
- Manning of Local Governments, particularly TMAs and Union Administrations
- To act as appellate authority under the Appeal Rules in terms of matters relating to the Local Governments