The Solid Waste Management (SWM) has long been a neglected sector due to the lack of strong commitment on the part of local authorities. Following the vision of Chief Minister Punjab Muhammad Shahbaz Sharif, Tehsil Municipal Administration (TMA) established Sialkot Solid Waste Management SWMC under section 42 of the company's ordinance 1984 on 12 July 2013. SWMC started its operation from 31st March 2014. SWMC is governed by a Board of Directors (BODS) presently chaired by Idrees Ahmad Bajwa.
The achievements of Sialkot Solid Waste Management are:
- SWMC has deployed 2 mechanical sweepers, 1 water bowser for washing of chowks and roads, 3 compactors, 200 containers for waste storage and 8 mini dampers for door to door waste collection
- SWMC designed new Solid Waste Management (SWM) system with the assistance of LWMC to implement new SWM services in the city of Sialkot
- Sialkot is divided into four zones and the new Solid Waste Management operations started in four zones comprising of 16 union councils of urban area
- Improve the collection, removal and transportation of solid waste to the disposal sites
- Increase mechanical/manual sweeping of main arterial roads, streets and squares with vacuumed vehicles
- Desilting of tertiary drains of the Sialkot